We're not in Cali anymore sweetie

15 June 2010

Things aren’t going quite how I planned or envisioned for them to go this week but oh well. We’ve been through worse and made it out alive.  Yesterday coming home from Missouri as we hit the Kentucky border the sides of the highway were lined with Lightning Bugs. As the idiots weren’t quick enough to dodge the huge grayish blue Durango hurdling through them, it was kinda neat to see that after their untimely passing on the windshield they still glowed for a while a longer. Seeing them flicker on and off reminded me of the very first time I had every seen them…

May 2001 I had just done a PCS move with my first husband at 39 weeks pregnant on AMA to Camp Lejeune, NC. Upon getting there, we were so incredibly stressed, I just had a new baby and we finally moved into our brand spanking new house. One night while the ex was gone for duty I was sitting in the back playing with the kids when I kept seeing spots in my vision; no matter where I looked they were there. I went into the house and nope they were gone, went back outside and they were there again. Out came the contacts and on went my glasses but there were still spots.

A week goes by and every single night I keep seeing the spots, finally gave in and called the Optometrist to get seen for these spots. Go in and relay all the info to the doctor of what I’m seeing and how I’m worried about loosing my sight.

The doctor checks my vision and tells me there is nothing wrong and my sight has actually improved since my last visit to my optometrist in San Diego. We spend another 20 minutes or so talking and I’m trying to convince him of my problems. When all of a sudden the doctor asks the time frame of the spots; I tell him right at dusk falling into dark. He asks me where I live, and I tell him off the New River, that actually our backyard touches the river, yadda yadda yadda. When the doctor just blurt out laughing.

Me on the other hand gave him a shifty glance not finding his humor to be the least bit funny when my eye sight is failing. He proceeded to quiz me on bugs and where I’m from, what I’ve seen and I’m getting ever so slightly impatient as he’s asking these questions.

That my dear is where I learned about these little guys…


Stolen from the wonder vast wide world web.


Lightning Bugs or Fireflies.

The end result, I wasn’t loosing my sight I was experiencing summer with Lightning Bugs. Welcome to the East Coast my dear!

9 Voices:

Bethany said...

That is the funniest story!!! :)

Kassandra said...

Hahaha! That is great. It must be nice to experience good bugs for the first time as you are an adult. Or even snow. I grew up in MA and moved to Texas for the past 5 years, not so good a surprise for any of the new things. New allergies, poisonous bugs, reptiles, arachnids and even the darn little weeds with prickers on them.

But that is great. I sometimes get the spots like I used to while pregnant from time to time now. I pretty much just ignore it and hope to put off getting my first pair of glasses for a little while longer.

blessing said...

Never heard of Ligthning Bugs or Fireflies, but now that you said you havent lost your sight, I am calm!

Musings Of An Army Wife

Ms. Diva said...

I have only seen lightning bugs once as a kid. I remember them as being so cool! I love your story!

amuddypaw said...

I can't get over how many people have never seen them before. It's kinda crazy that for the longest time I felt like I was completely in the dark alone on the whole firefly phenomenon.

Jen said...

I would have thought the exact same thing!!

Marcia said...

LOL!!! That is great! I have never lived anywhere else, so I didn't realize other parts of the country didn't have lightening bugs, though I assumed people in the city couldn't see them. LOL! Sorry, but that is a great story!

mannadonn said...

I used to love watching the lightning bugs in Oklahoma. They were awesome! I was so young when we would sit outside and watch them blink. I recently got to see them here and it was pretty exciting! Those little suckers sure do take you back...

Mrs. S. said...

That is so funny!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails