Vampires can be involved in domestic violence too

12 March 2010




I know I know everyone’s been posting this! I am so dang giddy to see this movie. I have to confess I watched Twilight BEFORE I read the book. I actually had no intention to read the books at all. It took watching it about 3 times before I finally gave in wanting to see what all the hoopla was about. I read the first book and absolutely HATED Edward. I told myself to keep reading, give the characters a chance and so I did. New Moon was a STRUGGLE to get through. I actually threw the book at the wall a couple of times. I tried throwing it away. It was a horrendously long self indulgent pity party ranging hormone teen temper tantrum. It irritated me that Bella let her life become so swept up with some “douche-bag” of a guy. I finally finished it with a little from my friends and dove into Eclipse. That’s when it started getting better, but I still hated Mr. Douchey-Pants. I am not sure if it was because I saw the movie first so Robert Petterson and his HORRIBLY “over blow dried need clearance from the FAA” hair style or if it was the character’s personality that made me just want to kick him to kingdom come.  It was during my lunch break sitting outside with some girls in the midst of listening to them swoon over Edward that it clicked in my head.

Edward and Bella’s relationship is an abusive one! Yes they looked at me like I had just taken an extra long hit off a bong. But I was dead serious. During the first three books look at how he treats her. Stalking her. Obsessing over her. Look at her. Giving up friends for him. Becoming obsessed with him as well. Getting hurt every time around him (don’t care if he’s stronger my point is still valid). Couldn’t hang out with who she wanted, i.e. Jacob. Becoming “suicidal” while labeling it as an “adrenaline junkie” because he broke up with her. Playing mind games with each other. It was all too much for me. They needed intervention. They needed to be separated to never ever see each other again. They were toxic to each other. Of course my friends and the girls at my old work all thought I was absolutely bonkers. I stood by it and still do if you haven’t read through all the books.

Now that I’ve read the last book and it’s brought all my “issues” with them to a full and complete circle, I still think they were a violate relationship that never should have left the ground. Unfortunately if that were to happen, there’d be no series and no movies for me to throw my dollars at to watch repeatedly.

There’s my small 2 cents for the day.



5 Voices:

Tina said...

OMG, I couldn't agree with you more! I love your description of Edward, made me crack up. Such a horrible example of a love story for girls to like. I actually enjoy the series, but I'm also an adult and see what is wrong in the relationship!

Great post!

Tina @ The Floundering SAHM

Ms. Diva said...

Edward is sooo whinny!! It just drives me nuts!!! That being said, my friends and I will be in line for about eight hours June 29th waiting for the midnight showing!!! Go Jacob - I wish he ended up with Bella!

♥ Brittany Ciara ♥ said...

I saw Twilight before I read the book as well. Then read all 4 books within a week! I loved them! And the movies! I can't wait for Eclipse! :)I'm team Edward all the way!

debi9kids said...

I have not read any of the books. Both of my daughters have and both love jacob.
They did make me watch twilight and I am sure they will make me sit through new Moon as well, but I seriously don't get the appeal.

Vampires are sexy? I just don't get it. LOL

Cheryl said...

I work in a bookstore which made me feel obligated to read at least one of the series. I read twilight. Thought ,eh... i don't get the fuss and was done with it. Bella drove me NUTS! And what does a however old vampire have in common with a 17 year old girl?
Anywhooo... After that I read a couple of teen books by an author named Rosemary CLement-Moore. The first on is called Prom Dates from Hell. They sorta have that Buffy vibe and the main character is some one I wouldn't mind my daughter looking up to.
That's just MY 2 cents. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails