MilSpouse Friday Fill-In #1

25 June 2010




Wife of a Sailor has started this fabulous weekly meme for MilSpouses! So I being one with a brain that has packed it’s bags and left when I woke up this morning has decided to jump aboard and partake in the fun. Especially since I LOVE the first question!


1. How did you and your spouse/significant other meet?


January 2004, Dirt Diver sent me a private message on a website at the suggestion of a friend. Unfortunately his message was nothing but crude and to the point. I shot him down faster then a torpedo being launched. We spent 2 months bouncing back and forth with sarcastic remarks trying to level up the other. By mid February he was asking if I wanted to go out with him. I continued to swat him away just as you do on a muggy night in the summer while being attacked by gnats and mosquitoes. My whole thinking was I had just turned 24 years old, my divorce was not final and already had 3 little kids (‘Tater, Lil t’ and my birth son) while Dirt Diver hadn’t even hit 21 and this was his first time living away from mommy. I felt so old compared to him. But man did his pictures make me drool. 

By April he deployed and would email me actual real lengthy personal emails but I was caught up in my own drama downward spiral of life and continued to ignore him. I would respond once in a while but that was it, short and sweet just full of flirtations. He never gave up though. Each email had a reference to us going out when he got back to San Diego


Fast forward to October he came home and I ignored yet again. November I finally agreed to go out with him on the 20th and only because the guy I was seeing flaked on me and I didn’t want to be home with nothing to do. But of course the day came and I flaked since I had received a last minute invitation to a party with some friends. He called me Sunday morning the 21st and I answered the phone sounding like the Marlboro Man had been hit in the throat with a 2x4. EMBARRASSING! Dirt Diver kindly told me I had an hour to get dressed and meet him or he was done talking to me. By this point I really liked his personality and loved our conversations so I said “fine let me jump in the shower”. And of course I didn’t have a sitter for ‘Tater so she got to tag along. 


What was supposed to be an hour hanging out at Starbucks turned into a 14 hour date at one of the most beautiful parks in San Diego, Balboa Park, with ‘Tater. That ONE date turned into a whirlwind romance with us getting married a year later at the Rose Garden in Balboa Park.


And the funny thing about all this is, my MIL met Dirt Diver’s stepdad on the 20th of November in Oregon. We always joke about we’d have shared the same anniversary IF I hadn’t been such a bitch about going on a date. *snicker*

2. What is the best thing about being a MilSpouse?

Going to have to say the community of spouses. I absolutely love that no matter what you will find someone on your street who has been through it, going through it or about to. If I don’t know it, I’m willing to bet one of my neighbors do. When times are tough, we band together. 

3. What is the hardest thing about being a MilSpouse?

Having to actually have that talk about arrangements. Like my best friend and her husband have had the talk once in 10 yrs of marriage and let it go. Unlike us were we’ve had it every single time deployments are brought up. I hate having to acknowledge the possibility of him not coming home to me alive. I hate seeing friends have to bury their loved ones and know mines still here with me. 



4. What is your favorite dish?

Hmm I would have to say Enchilada Casserole. I haven’t made it in over a year but I absolutely adore it. The kids do too and I can sneak beans in ‘Taters mouth and she has absolutely no clue in the world.


5. If you could change one thing in this world, what would it be?

Pretty much every one will probably say war, terrorism, tolerance, hate, etc but mine is simple. Society’s outlook as a whole. I absolutely HATE how our society has changed so much that, the majority of people’s lives are valued by what they own and can afford. I hate how people value one’s worth by what they wear, or drive. What happened to the days where life was simple? When it was not taboo to say “God” in the Pledge of Allegiance, where Louis Vutton’s were unheard of, station wagons roamed the streets, women wearing next to nothing weren’t idolized and copied by our daughters. Simplicity. I would love to go back to a time of simplicity.

Now that you have had fun reading my responses, if you haven’t linked up click the picture above and partake in the festivities and let me know!


Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

7 Voices:

mannadonn said...

Awwww! Your Dirt Diver story is really kind of cute even though you ditched him so many times! I love how your 1 hour meet up ended up a 14 hour day that changed your life. Too cute!

I totally agree about the arrangements thing. We talk about it a lot but I have friends who run from that type of conversation.

Julie The Army Wife said...

Oh I hate that we have to have those talks too but then I think about how much more prepared we are. Death can happen to anyone and I am glad we have things like wills taken care of.

Mrs. S. said...

Oh I loved every bit of this! I OBSESS over good enchilada casserole!

Wife of a Sailor said...

Hahaha... I kept putting off Huzzy too at first due to his crudeness. And just like you, I got to like his personality! Funny!

I love meeting new people and thanks for participating! I hope I'll see you next week!

Michelle Hoad said...

I'm right there with you on that last one! I saw a commercial today for some foldable organizer gadget for $20 because people had papers laying everywhere. I just sat there wondering what this world has come to that we have to have a gadget for everything. How bout just cleaning up your damn desk?

SpitFire said...

It's hilarious how many of us in this Fill-In turned our man down time after time. And I agree..what is up with the idolization of people like Gaga?????

Rachel--The Kooky Queen said...

Ooooooooooo enchilada casserole sounds AMAZING! I loved all these too, the story of how you met was awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails